Monday, September 1, 2014

Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: Lovely Leaves


It's time for a new Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge!

photo source:  flickr.com

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year, so while plenty are mourning the passing of summer, I'm celebrating! I love the cooler temperatures, fall sports, sweaters and boots, the beautiful changing colors in nature. How gorgeous is this inspiration photo? Sigh ....

I just had to re-create that ombre effect for my challenge sample. I was originally going to watercolor the background, so I used the stencil as a stamp (covered it with VersaMark, laid a piece of paper on top, brayered over it to transfer the VersaMark, then heat embossed in white). Then, instead of watercoloring, I decided to sponge the ink on, which left me thinking "wouldn't sponging over the stencil give the same results without all the steps?" So I did another version of the background that way. Turns out, the results are very different. On the sponge-over-stencil version, the white parts were much more crisp and vibrant, almost to the point of competing with the beautiful ombre colors of the sponging. On the stencil-as-stamp version, you can see how the white lines have kind of a sketchy look where the VersaMark didn't adhere or transfer perfectly. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it softened the white quite a bit and let the ombre be more of the focus. (And that's pretty much my creative process -- start with something, run around in circles, only to end up where I began! But, the journey is just as fun as the destination, right?)

Now, for the rest of the card. The sentiment, from Reverse Confetti's FOREVER FALL, is white embossed on black card stock. Embellishments include wood veneer hearts, some new-to-me wired thread by Prima, washi tape, a flower, and some Pretty Pink Posh gold sequins. I placed the whole panel on a woodgrain background to bring in the gray from the inspiration photo, and then I distressed both panels for a worn, weathered look.



Be sure to check out all the other Curtain Call Crew samples. These girls are amazing!

Lovely Leaves Designers












Thanks so much for stopping by!





STAMPS: FOREVER FALL by Reverse Confetti
INK: VersaMark; Seedless Preserves, Fired Brick, Barn Door, Rusty Hinge,
Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed Distress Inks
PAPER: Neenah Solar White card stock, My Mind's Eye woodgrain
OTHER: Basic Grey Triangle Pattern - Second City Stencil, white embossing powder, heat tool, 
distressing tool, Studio Calico wood veneer hearts, Pretty Pink Posh gold sequins, 
October Afternoon washi tape, Prima red wired thread, flower, vellum



14 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Gorgeous card Amy. I love the ombre background with the heat embossed image. The embellishments are so pretty. Can't stop looking at your card girl! :)

~amy~ said...

The heat embossing is awesome with that inky panel!

Marisa said...

Fabulous BG!!! Love the wooden hearts too :)

Annette Allen said...

wow what a great background.. love this card..

Megan Carroll said...

WOW!! This is so gorgeous!! Love the ombré background and all the pretty embellishments!

Joan B said...

this is gorgeous

BeverlyBL said...

I loved the ombre look. So beautiful. Very fall leaves(ish).

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Amy! Love the ombré effect ! And the sentiment on black it really stands out 😄

Vickie Z said...

Gorgeous!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Amy this is really gorgeous! LOVE the texture!

Michelle Woerner said...

Sup girl! I really love this. the mixture of wooden elements with the flower and sequins made me HAPPY!! Hugs!

Crestajune said...

I'm totally with you, Amy! I am so excited for the return of fall! I love your card... every perfect detail just makes me happy! Hope you have a terrific day!

Leigh Penner said...

This is so cool! I love it!